Sunday, August 29, 2010

Homemade Bread Crumbs

I am a big fan of homemade breadcrumbs, simply because it is a great way to use surplus bread before it goes bad.  Recently I bought an extra loaf and wasn't sure what to do with all the extra bread.  I think next time I plan to do some healthy bread pudding, but this time I made three bags of breadcrumbs.

The bread that I used was Trader Joe's Sprouted Grain Bread.  So, it is a rather healthy bread full of lots of nutrients.  I took the entire loaf, laid it out and let it go stale.  Then I used my food processor to grind all the hard slices into crumbs and added a nice helping of wheat germ to the mix, to add more nutrients.

Then I put the mixture into labeled ziploc bags and threw them into the freezer.  I figured this was the best way to keep them.

So today I used my crumbs for the first time!

This recipe that I used is a variation on one I found on the Weightwatchers website. I changed a lot in the recipe, so it was basically a jumping off point.  For those of you with access to the website, this is the title.



Preheat oven to 450 degrees

4 six oz. fillets of Mahi Mahi
1 egg white
1 cup of bread crumbs
1/4 package of Hidden Valley Ranch Powder Mix
1/4 c. grated Parmesan
Salt (I used Rosemary Infused FalkSalt)
Freshly Ground Pepper
Spray oil or Olive Oil

Spray baking dish or cookie sheet with Spray Oil or rub Olive Oil on with paper towel.

Place whisked egg white in a shallow wide dish.

Mix the breadcrumbs, ranch mix and Parmesan, and put in a shallow wide dish.

Salt the fish with a tiny bit of salt.

Dip fish in the egg white, completely covering it.

Dip it in the crumbs, completely covering it.

Place on the dish/sheet and place in the oven for 12-14 minutes or until the fish is no longer translucent in the middle.

Salt and Pepper to taste and serve.

Serve with tzatziki sauce, or a nice homemade nonfat plain yogurt dip made with dill, garlic, salt and lemon zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment