Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Spinach Feta Turkey

 

Ok, I'll be honest here.  This is a recipe for a turkey "loaf".  But, I just think that word "loaf" is so unappetizing.  And, this recipe is not.  So... if you have any idea for a better name for this dish I will be happy to hear it!  I suppose you could actually turn this into a turkey burger recipe.  But, for all intents and purposes I will post the LOAF recipe.  :)

First off, here are the details.  Eight ingredients (counting salt and pepper), two dairy products, protein, whole grains and even your greens go into this little ditty.  Also, this entire loaf equates to 19 points and 12 ounces post baking.

That means for you weightwatcher users:

4 servings= 4.75 pts. per serving
5 servings= 3.8 pts. per serving
6 servings= 3.2 pts. per serving
8 servings= 2.4 pts. per serving

As for the nutrient/calorie breakdown, the calories are 954 for the entire dish and that means:

4 servings=  238 calories per serving
5 servings= 190 calories per serving
6 servings= 159 calories per serving
8 servings= 120 calories per serving

If you want to view the nutritional breakdowns below just double click them.
So, let's get down to business:

Spinach Feta Turkey
 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Ingredients:

1 lb. Ground Turkey
1 Egg
1/4 C. Italian Breadcrumbs* (you can make your own if you want, see below)
1 Tbsp. Wheat Germ
1 oz. or about 1/4 C. Crumbled Feta Cheese
1/2 C. Frozen Chopped Spinach
Salt (fancy if you like)
Pepper (freshly ground if you like)



Take the first four ingredients, and some of the black pepper, and mix them in a bowl.  I use my hands.  Try not to overwork the meat.
Lay half the mixture in the bottom of a bread pan.

Mix the next two ingredients together.  I like to use a fork instead of a spoon here to help break up the feta chunks. 

Lay the spinach/cheese mixture on top of the first layer of meat and then cover the filling completely all around.  Sprinkled the top with some black pepper and salt.  I used wild garlic salt to add a bit more flavor.
I remembered halfway through adding the top to take a pic.

Throw into the oven for about 45 minutes or until your meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.  When is baked let it cool a little before you serve it.  I like to serve mine with tzatzeki sauce.  It's a cucumber yogurt sauce.  You can make your own with fat free plain yogurt, cucumber, some lemon zest, garlic, dill and sea salt.  That recipe would be about .5 point per 2 Tbsp. serving of sauce.  The tzatzeki sauce I used is 2 points per 2 Tbsp.

My review on this recipe (one I came up with on my own) is that it is easy, full of nutrients, filling and very tasty.  My two year old and my husband adore this dish.  I hope you and yours do as well!

*Breadcrumbs.  If you like, you can make your own breadcrumbs.  It is a great option when you find that some of your bread may go bad before you get to it.  I am currently drying out a loaf of sprouted wheat bread.  It is only 1 point, and 90 calories, per slice.  It is high in fiber and low in fat as well.  I'll post more about that soon!

1 comment:

  1. Holden exclaimed, "Mommy! This is delicious! Thank you!"

    ReplyDelete