Thursday, August 19, 2010

Crunchy Cream Cheese Pepper Pitas

So, I bought yet another book to help me feed my picky toddler.  I know, I know... It's a problem.  But just remember what I said earlier, I collect things.  It was a good price and I liked the creative layout and wanted to check it out.


 Toddler Menus: A Mix-and-Match Guide to Healthy Eating

It's a clever little book designed with split pages so that you can make your whole day's menu by flipping through all the different pages for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  They mark the pages with a key showing how many servings of fruits and veggies there are.  Like I said, it is rather clever.  And, as promised by the foreward, the meals are tasty enough for adults (at least the one I ate tonight was).

So, as most of you know, I can't use a recipe from a book without making it my own.  So this recipe is really a version of the one they provide.  Instead of tortillas I used whole wheat pitas, and I used spinach instead of sprouts (which would be equally as good).  I also sliced my apples paper thin to make the thing less bulky but just as sweet.  I also added the pepper and spinach into the cream cheese b/c I knew it would be less messy and just as tasty that way.  Also, I was worried my son wouldn't want to eat the spinach, so he got some regardless.

Crunchy Cream Cheese Pepper Pitas 
Makes two servings.

2 Whole Wheat Pitas
1/2 C. Fat Free Cream Cheese
1/2 Chopped Orange Pepper
5 Large Spinach Leaves
1/2 Sweet Apple (Gala or Fuji, or even Granny Smith)
Black Pepper for Seasoning



Lay out your pitas.
Put your cream cheese, a leaf of spinach and the peppers in a food processor and mix.
At this point I recommend not taste testing the cream cheese mixture.  You will want to lick it out of the bowl.  It is very tasty.
Slice your apple very thin into nice slices.
Smear the cream cheese mixture onto the pitas, lay the apples and spinach leaves on top, add the pepper you want.
EAT!
For Jack I folded the pita in half and then sliced it into a few different little "sandwiches" so it was easier for his little hands to handle.

I actually caught my son eating candidly.
He doesn't always close his eyes when he eats... he must have been savoring the meal very intently.
Kid needs a haircut.  Anyway, back to business....

My review on this recipe?
AMAZING!!!!!

Ok, that being said, let me explain.  As I said earlier the cream cheese is very tasty, but that coupled with the crisp apple and the fresh spinach is surprisingly delicious.

Side note: DON"T USE GREEN PEPPERS! Spring for the orange.  It makes this recipe what it is.
Each serving is approximately 3.5 WW points and 322 Calories (according to calculations made on fitday.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment