Sunday, August 15, 2010

Plugging the Nesco Jerky Making Kit


Ok, let's talk jerky.  I am not too sure it is very healthy once you get down to the sodium levels alone.  BUT, it's jerky!  It transports well, it makes all those Atkins fools salivate, and it tastes damn good.

So as some of you know, I bought a food dehydrator a while back.  I feel sheepish even phrasing it that way.  I think it degrades the deep and abiding relationship me and Mr. Dehydrator share.  After all, I don't want him to feel like he's just an object in my life.  He is so much more than that.

After purchasing Mr. Dehydrator off Amazon every time I went onto their site I would get "you should buy this" ads thrown at me.  I saw the jerky kit ads quite a bit and I wasn't that interested.  Then one day I was using the jerky kit as a fake purchase to navigate to my way to a friend's address I had saved on their website.  Somehow that turned into me getting a jerky kit on my doorstep... still not sure how that happened.  In high school my art teacher used to refer to some of our works as "happy mistakes".  I will now use that term to describe my jerky kit.

Nesco BJX-5 American Harvest Jumbo Jerky Works Kit

I LOVE THIS ITEM!

This kit comes with the gun, three different tips to make thin strips, wide strips and slim jim style jerky.  It also comes with packets of flavoring and preservatives.

So this is my plug.  If you have a food dehydrator, drop the twenty bucks and just enjoy.  The whole process takes less than fifteen minutes to set up and then, depending on what type of meat you make, sometimes only 4 hours to dry out.  Don't forget that one pound of ground beef makes probably around $7.00-$10.00 in jerky.  The pile you see in the pic above was made with 1.75 lb of regular ground beef.  But aside from the savings, my favorite part is that you get to determine what spices take precedent in the end product!

No comments:

Post a Comment