Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mint Chocolate Hidden Spinach Cookies (Not too original, but still)

I love this cooling rack.


My husband informed me last night that it might be a good idea to start hiding nutritious items in our kid's food because he is quite the picky eater.  HA.... ahhh... sigh (enter Shy Ronnie Exclamation here.)

Apparently the dude doesn't read my blog.  Jack did have his spinach this morning in his smoothie, but when he asked for cookies the green light went off in my head again.

So we pulled out his favorite cookbook (go figure).


Sesame Street Yummy Cookies: Baking with Kids

So, I took a recipe from this book and made it deceitful.   Some cookbook authors go with deceptive or sneaky.  I will be perfectly honest and admit that I am being deceitful, because I am sure my kid is going to throw a fit when he finally figures out my modus apparatus.  I am not going to call this a healthy cookie at all.  It is just a cookie with some extra benefits.
The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite MealsDeceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food

So here is my altered version of this book's Cocoa Crackles.  The result is a bit of a cakey cookie, but at least he'll eat it.

They do taste as good as they look, actually even better!


Spinach Crackles

Preheat at 350.

3/4 c. AP Flour*
3/4 c. WW Pastry Flour*
2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder*
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1/4 c. pureed baby spinach *
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. mint extract (to help account for that slight green tint)*
1 c. powdered sugar

Mix your salt, flours, cocoa, and baking soda in a bowl.

Mix your butter and sugars in the mixer until blended.  I use my kitchenaid.
KitchenAid KP26M1XNP Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer, Nickel Pearl

Add the eggs, spinach and extract to the mixer and blend until just mixed (don't over blend or they'll be too cakey like mine turned out this time).

Roll heaping teaspoonfuls of dough in a bowl of the powdered sugar until they are coated.  I made mine too big, so go smaller than I did.  I used the pampered chef scoopy thing and I think it was a bit too big for this cookie.  Lesson learned, but it is a good scoop as most people can attest.
The Pampered Chef Medium Scoop #2540

Drop them on the parchment lined cookie sheet, about and inch or two apart.

Bake about 10 minutes, give or take for the size of your cookies.

Let them cool.

Deceive your kids with chocolate, mint and love.

*Elements I altered from the original recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment