Sunday, August 29, 2010

UGLY Cookies (2 pts. per cookie)




My son wanted me to make him cookies today.  I really think his insistence came from the smell of the scent pod thingy that I was melting in the kitchen... sugar cookie, go figure.  So I decided I would make some for him that were tasty and healthy.  Unfortunately, asking for them to also be pretty is just asking too much.  It's just too bad I look like I am holding a piece of poop.  Now, onto trying to sell you on these little turds of goodness!

Also this recipe, and this post, are not targeted at my weight watchers or calorie watcher friends.  Instead they are targeted at my whole food friends, who just may fit into the other categories as well.  :)

This recipe is a jump off from the original recipe located at this link:
http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/spicy_tofu_cookies

I will mark the elements that I altered with an asterisk.



UGLY COOKIES

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Mix these dry ingredients together in a bowl:
1.5 cups of whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. Wheat Germ*
3/4 cup craisins*
3/4 cup chopped dried pineapple*
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Blend these items in a blender:
1/2 c butter, softened
2/3 c. agave nectar*
1 egg
1/8 cup pureed spinach*
8 oz. tofu (I used silkened, and you can even use lowfat tofu if you like)
1 tsp. cinnamon (I used saigon cinnamon)
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (I used a "nut", it's actually a seed, and a grater)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract (the real thing)

Mix wet and dry ingredients together

Drop by spoonful onto a parchment lined sheets.

Bake for 7-9 minutes, keeping an eye on them. Let the bottoms be golden brown, but no darker.

Yields 3 Dozen Cookies, at just 2 Points per cookie.

Like I said, these are ugly.  But, they taste great and are rather healthy.  Just think about the ingredients: whole wheat flour, wheat germ, agave, spinach, dried fruit and tofu!!!!


My taste tester approves!

Mouth full of cookie!

No comments:

Post a Comment