Monday, August 16, 2010

Facing the Monster


No, I am not talking about my fiercely overweight cat with the same name.  I am talking about the monster called reality.  Here's the thing, no matter how healthy my recipes are, the fact is that I am overweight.  So, in an attempt to overcome the donut of death fat roll that is savoring all my bad food decisions I joined WeightWatchers.  I go tomorrow for my first in person experience.  Fingers crossed.

So I am a bit hungry.  I've watched everything I have eaten all day and I still have some "points" left.  Plus I exercised today.  So I decided to give myself a nice little snack before bed.

Here is what I came up with.  It's filling*, delicious, only 66 calories for the entire lot, and only 1 point for all of it.  Realistically, this recipe is probably 2-3 servings.  I ate it all.  You may too, if you try it out as a late night snack.  It is especially good this time of year because this is when the tomatoes are taking the spot light. 

*If you want an even more filling option, add an oz. of part skim mozzarella.  It will add 86 calories and one point to your total (remember this recipe makes more than one serving).

Guiltfree Snack

2 Medium sized fresh tomatoes quartered
1 Medium cucumber, or 1/3 of an English Cucumber (if you use regular cucumber this is a 0 point snack)
Salt (I would use a bold salt, like kosher.  My preference is the Rosemary Infused Falk Salt that I am having an affair with)
Pepper
Dry Basil to taste
1 tsp. Balsamic Vinegar (see note below)

Cut up your tomato and cucumber.
Put in a bowl together, add salt and pepper, let sit for a moment.
Stir together.  If you have nice fresh tomatoes, you will get a good amount of juice in your bowl.
Spray with vinegar, or mix it in.
Add your Basil.
Eat and feel good about yourself.  Oh, and enjoy the beauty of the colors!

Note:  I use this helpful little item.  I found it at a discount buyout store and snatched it up for 1.00.  It's a balsamic spray.  I only had to use about five sprays to give the tomato and cucumber the level of flavor enhancement I was looking for.  I am not sure where you can buy this.  I can't find it for sale anywhere online.  That means that tomorrow I am going to go back to Ollie's Outlet and stock up on this vinegar spray because it is amazing.  Here is a link to the distributors.  If you are interested I am sure they can point you in the right direction.

http://www.lacollinatoscanausa.com/home.html


My favorite part of this snack was knowing that the dried basil was from my garden, as were the tomatoes.  It's like getting a very tasty paycheck!

No comments:

Post a Comment