Sunday, August 15, 2010

Vegetable Sauce Shells


After many, many hours of steaming and pureeing, portioning and ziploc-ing I have now entered the promise land!  I have two freezers full, to the top, with healthy recipe options.

Tonight's post refers back to two different posts on this blog.  The first was in reference to a Jessica Seinfeld recipe from her book book "Deceptively Delicious" that I posted on June 27 2010.

The second post that I want to reference was a bit more recent, July 16th of this year.  Tonight I choose, again, to use quinoa pasta.  I went to my friendly neighborhood health food store and picked up a few boxes of the pasta after the success I had with the "spaghetti" and meatball dinner I made a few weeks ago. This time I made a dish with their shells.  Here is a link to give you a visual:
http://www.quinoa.net/145/163.html

So, I decided to throw together a little "noodle" dish for the little one and take advantage of many wonderful purees I am now in possession of.  Having the broccoli puree ready, and on hand, made this dish a joy to make.  It was like creating a broccoli-cheese sauce, or soup, in a matter of minutes with very little work.

Vegetable Sauced Shells

1 lb. Quinoa Shells
1/2 c. yellow squash puree
1/4 c. pureed spinach
1/2 c. broccoli puree
1/2 cup skim milk
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. sharp cheddar
A couple of pinches of of wild garlic infused salt (I want to make out with this salt, it is so amazing)
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of onion powder
Pinch of garlic powder

If you find that you have more sauce than you need, then reserve it more dishes for later!  Here's a novel idea, freeze it!

My review of this version of their pasta is that alone the pasta does have a notably different taste than the regular pasta we are all used to.  BUT, once I added the sauce, it was not a detectable change.  I recommend this product because of the pure nutrition you and your family will get from the pasta alone, even before you add the secret vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment