Saturday, October 16, 2010

Homemade Corn Chips (3 WW pts./serving)

I LOVE CHIPS. 

I can't put words to my chip fetish.  Recently I have shed quite a bit of weight from restricting my diet with WeightWatchers, so chips aren't really a big part of my diet.  But, I did find a recipe for homemade baked corn chips in a book that focuses on health. And the outcome is rather tasty!

In "The Sneaky Chef" Missy Chase Lapine has a recipe called "Crunchy Corn Chips".

The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals


She states that this recipe is good for kids because it packs more nutrients, and less calories, than prepackaged fried corn chips.  The recipe yields 48 chips, six 1 oz. servings.  One oz. is composed of 8 chips.  It comes out to about 3 points per serving for those doing WeightWatchers, and about 96 calories per one oz. serving.

So here is the recipe, more or less:

Baked Corn Chips

12 Small Corn Tortillas (I used white)
2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt (1 tsp. recommended)*

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Brush both sides of the tortillas with olive oil and salt.
Cut up the tortillas into quarters (or if you want you can get creative and do stripes etc.)

Put in a single layer on a cookie sheet (I used two sheets to get them all baked in one go).
Bake 10 minutes.
Flip (I just utilized my cat-like reflexes and used my fingers.  You could also use a wimpy spatula).
Bake another 8-10 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.

EAT!

*Personally, I can NEVER use a recipe as it is given.  So I used two different types of flavor-infused salt.  One was wild garlic sea salt, and the other a red chili sea salt. YUM!!!


Ok, some more info on this recipe.

From my online research, the typical serving size (one oz.) of corn chips is 4 WW points.  That means, you save yourself some points with this recipe.  That would be one point per serving, to be exact.

The other option here is to use a butter substitute spray to save yourself some points and calories, but don't forget that there are calories in there regardless of what the bottle tells you.  They use a labeling loophole to reel you in.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/askhg/askhgdetails.php?isid=92

I have a hard time trusting anything that claims to be butter-ish and has little calories.  As said so eloquently by a website, "The main ingredients are water, soybean oil, buttermilk, and salt. Plus a bunch of chemicals that give it a thick, creamy texture, a buttery flavor, and a pleasant yellow color. Basically, you can think of it as a spray butter."  

-http://www.epinions.com/review/ConAgra_Parkay_Butter_Spray_8_Oz/content_408413900420

Since I am a whole food kind of girl, I will take the calories over the chemicals and colorants.  (Just don't hold me to this when I am stuffing sugar free jello down at the end of a night when I have already eaten almost all my points.  I KNOW! I KNOW! I am a hypocrite!)

So, try these out!  Don't forget that spices are a free for all, and can make these chips much more tasty and individualized.  I am thinking of doing a cumin and ancho chili version next!

Warning: I do not recommend making these little bitches unless you want to eat and snack all day.  Right now they are taunting me from the pantry.  I would put this recipe in the "Get Together/Party" file in your brain.  Pull out the recipe and make these more healthy, and more originally spiced chips for friends or family. It's nice to know that they are a step up from the usual in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment