Sunday, June 27, 2010

Grape Smoothie- Vegan Friendly


I tried something new with today's smoothie. A few days ago I noticed that the seedless red grapes I bought were loosing their firmness. I am a bit of a grape snob. I like them to be really taut. So instead of ignoring them until I felt justified in chucking them, I decided to blend and freeze them.

I poured the pureed grapes into ice cube trays, set my freezer to power freeze and then popped out the cubes into a ziploc.

The pic of this smoothie isn't especially attractive. It doesn't give a realistic idea of how tasty it is. That is happens when I use my macbook to take pics. The texture you see is the ground flax seed I added.


Here is today's recipe:

1 Cube of frozen pureed swiss chard

1 Cube of frozen pureed seedless red grapes

1 Frozen banana

1 Cup apple juice

1 Cup enriched vanilla rice dream

1/4 Cup frozen pineapple

1/4 cup frozen orange segments
(peel and cut up an orange and freeze it on a cookie tray)

1 Tbsp. of ground flax- My son doesn't get this in his smoothie b/c of his nut allergy
(if you grind it yourself keep it for about a week always refrigerated)

Some notes of the benefits of flax meal:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/flaxinfo.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment