Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Clams, Spaghetti, Roma Tomatoes... HEAVEN


Yes, it is not a smoothie recipe! Surprise.

This recipe is a Mark Bittman adaptation.

How To Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food

Here are the components:
4 Roma Tomatoes (chopped, seeded and if you are really good, skinned)
1/2 lb. Good Spaghetti (I like Barilla Enriched)
Fresh Basil (chopped)
Fresh Tarragon (chopped)
Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley (chopped)
Fresh Oregano (chopped)
Freshly Ground Pepper
Coarse Salt
2 Cans of Clams (for us lazy people) ----- you will use the juice
1 Cup Good Dry Wine (don't go sweet on this one, you'll regret it)
1/4 Cup Olive Oil (the good stuff)
1 Tbsp. Minced Garlic

Ok, here is the deal. I adapted this recipe for the laziness of us all.

Put your pasta in the water you have already been boiling in a big ole pot with a pinch of salt.

Just take the cans of clams and separate out the juice, set aside.

Put the clams in a pan with half the wine and let them simmer for a bit on medium heat. Take them out and put them back into their own juice.

Put the oil in another deep pan and warm it up on medium heat and then add your garlic.

Let your garlic get a little color, throw in the tomatoes. Simmer for a minute, throw in the rest of the wine, the basil, oregano, and tarragon, salt and pepper.

Once you feel like the flavors have melded well, put in your clams and as much of the clam juice you want depending on how saucy you want your pasta.

By then your pasta should be done, al dente of course.

Drain the pasta, throw it in the pan, add more pepper (if you are me). Take your temp down to medium/low heat.

Mix it up and let it simmer a bit.

Put the tastiness in a pretty bowl and throw your parsley on top. Enjoy a kick ass meal.

I recommend paring it with a nice simple salad with oil and vinegar.

Ok, this is already a long post. But, let me tell you how well this meal goes over. I made this and not only did my two year old scarf it up. But, my husband followed me with his plate to the stove when I went to load up the serving dish with seconds. No joke.

But most importantly. As the cook, I loved it.

Side note: I used this amazing Swedish Rosemary Salt to add an amazing depth to the taste. Thanks Hilary!

http://www.falksalt.com/index.php/range

No comments:

Post a Comment